Friday, December 21, 2007

Spearfishing Action Warms up

I am getting some reports of good fish being seen and taken around the coast.
Big yellowtail at Cape StFrancis - apparently one of 19.5 was taken and a mate reported seeing a shoal of big ones and musselcracker.
Also there are some garrick about at St Francis.

Cory Versluis saw a big black marlin (he guesses 180 kg)and did not shoot it as he only had his reel gun and not clean kill shot was possible.

I heard there is some bad water at Mosselbay and some divers had some raggy trouble.

Warren Bennet took a 11.7 kg Pomapano in Natal on a shore dive splendid fish. Other divers have been getting some good fish such as sailfish, geelbek and yellowfin in Natal. Check out www.saspearoranking.co.za for pics in the gallery.

We are having a lot of wind this December east and wests mixed. This time last year we had westerlies predominate and very clean warm water with few fish about.
I even remember going out to the RIY banks and diving without a wetsuit for a few minutes - risky though Frenchies bite hard!
More easterlies are lined up for after the weekend so we will not get that same blue warm water with almost no fish - a good thing for spearfishing. Three years ago in similar warm conditions I saw a small sailfish of about 20 kg from the boat in 7 m of water just after launching. I was too slow in getting fins on and gun ready and it sounded not to be seen again.

I hope to get a dive in tomorrow - in past years I was always at sea on Xmas day but recently duties recall me to land - i am working on it though - soon my son will drag me off to sea - perhaps even this xmas day for fishing!

He He! - I knew there was a way where my wife cannot refuse.

Gentlemen - Breed and let you kids bug the wife enough to let you take them to sea and your back in action!

If I do not get off another post have a great XMas and may your spears be bent and legs tired from fighting big game fish!

No comments: