Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Eel from the Gamtoos River

Imagine you are relaxing on you boat on a river, beer in hand, feet up you await a bite from a big cob.
You feel a tug on your fishing line, ther is some resitance, but not that much and pull up this:

<
<
<
<
<
<




I was asked to help identify this beauty caught in the Gamtoos river by Francois from Comemrcial Marine.
I have never seen the likes of it in my time. Have you?
If you recognise it please let me know - post a comment or
send me a mail to freedive@freedive.co.za.
G

3 comments:

Tanya said...

seems to be a type of long finned eel as there seems to be a single slit for a gill and no pelvic fins and it also seems as if the anal and tail fin is joined

Zane said...

I would say a longtailed sand eel, but the shape of the head would indicate a snake eel.

Anonymous said...

Cindy said...
We also caught a very similar one on Sunday 15 June 2008 at Sunday's River.
We don't know what it is. But we know they can bite.