Thursday, May 15, 2008

Spearfishing and Luck

Last week I finished writing a spearfishing lesson for my mentorship students. It is "Lesson # 37 - Spearo Mistakes".

I have been spearfishing for 17 years now and if anyone has made a good number of mistakes it is me. I am sure you have also made your fair share...
However, I keep records of my dives(mistakes included) and extract as much data as possible from those records. I seek to avoid the same mistakes in the future. That has quite a bit to do with "luck".

So what is luck. Very early in my spearfishing mentorship program I define it as:

"Luck is when opportunity meets preparedness."

It is not my own definition so I claim no credit. Interestingly I read it again this morning, it appeared in a newsletter from Trump University that I subscribe to. Donald Trump a well known gentleman gave his full agreement to that quote.

To me luck comes from not only trying hard, but thinking big and doing big too. You make your own opportunities (or the lack of them). You also do your own preparation.

So now if I (or you) have bad luck then who is to blame?

Now if February Mark Jackson and I had good luck (sorry no, I mean we mixed preparedness with opportunity).

We were driving home from a dive that had mediocre results and our sixth senses were put to the test. I said "lets go look for steenbras tomorrow", Mark said that I stole the words off his tongue.

Next morning we went:


and,




I dived down - first dive;




and heard Mark's gun discharge on his first down,




and then I discharged my gun,



and



Marks fish was just under 18 kgs and mine was a bit smaller.

Was that luck? Yes according to the above definition.

Over the next few posts I will briefly discuss the five chief mistakes spearos make. These mistakes apply to any field of endeavour - you will see why when you read them. They are easily adapted to fishing too....

So that gives an idea of the type of lesson my spearfishing mentorship conveys.

I must run now - I have class to teach on analytical method development and validation.

2 comments:

Bart said...

That quote is actually atributed to Seneca the Younger, a roman philosopher that lived around the time of Christ.

Gletwyn Rubidge said...

Thanx Bart, that is interesting.