Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Success in Spearfishing Part 2 of 9


In my last post on Success in Spearfishing I posted a formula for success and defined the first term. Today let's hop across the first plus sign to the next term:

S = A + B x C + D + E + F + G

Now we add B - bottom time which depends on:

1. lung capacity,

2. relaxation,

3. equipment, and

4. training

Lung capacity
It is said that we cannot change lung capacity.
Well, I am not 100 percent sure of that - actually I disagree.
I tend to think that one could increase it somewhat by having positive pressure within – obviously a slight positive pressure or else a rupture of the lung wall may occur. You diaphragm is the “pump” driver – if you can improve the function of the diaphragm then it is quite possible to increase the amount of air taken in.

Relaxation is very important – you need to be relaxed, calm and extroverted.

He who conquers himself is the mightiest warrior - Confucius

Equipment is also very important – for example switching from thermoplastic to carbon fins divers often claim increased depth of say five meters on their operating depth – typically one can add this five meters onto a 20 depth thus giving a 5/20 = 25% improvement. A good suit that keeps you warm is a great help. Bottom time is killed by a lowered body temperature - I know - over the last month of local dives I watch mine drop as I get cold.

Training improves ones capacity to perform – especially in more severe conditions such as deep water or rough water where greater exertion is required.
In my Mentorship program (www.freedive.co.za/metorship.htm) I kick off with super efficient training methods from the first lesson and raise the level of training as diving muscles are strengthened.
(Let me explain: back in 1992, the second year of my diving career, I developed a training method that allowed me to dive comfortably to 34 m with no warm up dive - this involved physical training and the use of an exercise to enhance concentration). Naturally this is part of my program.

So you need a fair bottom time to get down look around - perhaps enter a cave and shoot as well as get back up safely. There are a host of tricks one can do to get fish in closer but you can't do these without decent bottom time. Locally most fish we take are taken in say less than 1.5 minutes so you may not need an excessive bottom time just a bit of self mastery will do for getting good, or even excellent fish. See my 34 Youtube clips at http://www.youtube.com/user/gletwynr most are quite short.

Variable weight dives also improve bottom time by saving energy - ditch you belt and pull it up after the dive.

It is a good thing that there is lots we can do to improve our bottom times. My mentorship students know those or will know them when they reach the appropriate lessons.

No comments: