Monday, January 26, 2009

Look the other way and spearfishing shy species

Over the weekend Mark and I had some discussion of our experiences with bagging spooky fishes. In summay this is what we concluded:
There are times that normally shy fish are not too difficult to spear. We noticed that in November and early December last year. Musselcracker, and soldiers were relatively easy pickings. (These two species can be very spooky in clear water). The season was right, thermoclines present and little surge. If the water is clear and cold then you are probably going to have to use a few tricks to attract those fish, especially.
Here are some that we use:
1. break eye contact - use a tinted lense, look away, look down, use a screen(cloud of sand etc.) I seriously think one of those silly face masks found at kids parties could also do the trick - therein lies scope for some experimentation. Moving my camera over my mask works very well - I will soon post the taking of a 10 kg cracker on youtube using that method - the fish dogged us and kept out of range until I did the camera thing.
2. hide and use camo
3. use bait, flashers or some other distractive technique
4. do the unexpected
5. move on the bottom using the terrain to your advantage (this requires you be fit though and give due consideration to air reserves)
6. use fish reverse psychology - act as if you are scared of the fish.

These topics and more are covered in great detail in my mentorship program and in my new course on increasing your deopth and bottom time for spearfishing.

I quite often get this question:
Would these courses be of any benefit to s freediver who is not keen on spearfishing?

Absolutely yes! Only the freediver must not shoot with a gun but rather a camera or his eyes. Hunting skill covered are great for learning to approach marine animals (and to fend off others such as tigres of the sand, or even great whites). THe idea is to get them to approach real close, feeling bold and permiting great viewing of photography. My courses also enhance depth and bottom time - these are of course freediver goals too.
As time permits, I intend to convert my mentorship and spearfishing course to freediving but that will not be in the near future.

No comments: