Monday, April 11, 2011

Plettenberg Bay Spearfishing

Last week saw me revisit some divespots at Plettenberg Bay. I must say that I am still pretty well unimpressed with Plett divesites. Mark was with me and he agrees fully. Despite Mark Fanus and me winning the Plett Nationals when diving there we still have yet to find good fish in significant numbers.
I like flatter reef structure with sandstone caves holes and cracks - it pull fish strongly in the Eastern Cape. We dives at the eastern side of Plett just west of the Tsitsikama reserve - the water conditions were poor - viz 3-6 m with a 1.8 m swell. I just got one decent sized cracker and that was it! I saw a few bronze bream and some red romans of about 1-1.5 kgs. Mark had a disinterested white waddle past him in the shallows.

The lack of diving saw me don my running shoes and take to the road - at least I did a PB longish run of 20 km to work on fitness. I was impressed in my running ability - I expected to have to walk but I made it easily. The hardest part is occupying your mind in such an activity. OH yes ,Fanus Gerber just reported taking 3rd place in the Iron Man held here in PE yesterday - Mooi soo Fanus, Jy het nie geroes nie, Boet!

I did attempt a few [non-spearfishing] dives in the Keurbooms river - found a spot just north of the bridge that dropped off to 24m!!! I only got down to about 9 m though where the viz black out and I could not see my hand - it is really creepy diving in such viz - next time I will take a torch in the unlikely event that it is clean down there. Interestingly I found that the mud on the bottom is warm to the touch - probably 2 deg warmer than the water - it must be an exothermic reaction of sorts within the mud.
My son, Zephyr, now 7yrs old is demanding to go on my next dive trip - I am using this as a carrot for him to push through his fears of diving in dirty water - so let's see how the carrot goes.

No comments: