Monday, July 18, 2011

Quote for Spearos

 
Look at your light bulb. In it's history lies a key to success.
 
Thomas Edison took something like 11000 attempts to perfect his incandescent lightbulb. This included a recreational contribution - he had gone off to Wyoming to view an eclipse and was fishing on a lakeside using bamboo threads. He considered using a carbon filament made from thin strips of bamboo. In those days they used high resistance carbon filaments attached to platinum electrodes to produce a lamp with a functional life of 40  to 100 hours on DC current.  
 
 "If I find 10,000 ways something won't work, I haven't failed. I am not discouraged, because every wrong attempt discarded is another step forward."
 
"Many of life's failures are men who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up."


Now there is a reason not to throw in the towel too soon - OK, you could end up maddening your divebuddies (or lady in waiting) by staying out too long.

Yesterday while doing some exploratory diving I found the end of the reef I was following - it turned to sand. I swam on in the same line for about 150 m.

Mark pitched up then with the boat - I could have gotten out and joined him but decided to let him leave me and go on to the next spot. About 20 m further on I found a nice isolated little cave with some nice baardman in it. I was so close, and easily could have missed that nice little discovery.


No comments: